A Catholic Independent Historical High School for Boys and Girls (grade 7-12)

A Catholic Independent Historical High School for Boys and Girls (grade 7-12)
Associate School of P.A.R.C.S.S.D.# 6
Owned by the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Class of 2010

Friday, June 25th was the day we said good-bye to our 17 graduates. Congratulations to all of you. You have left your mark at Rivier Academy, and now, you are about to start a whole new chapter in your life. We wish you all the best.
Awards were presented to the following students...
Ashley Cook: Survivor Award
Amanda Douglas: Community Service, Math 30 - First Place, Chemistry, Physics, Science & Math Kinette Award, Calculus, Governor General’s Bronze Medal
Jessica Emisch: Christian Ethics, Physical Education, Practical & Applied Arts -Foods
Courtney Hillman: Legion Award
Kyla Kerr: CFUW Scholarship, Francais
Kristen McEwen: Band: Level 4, Biology, Canadian History, Drama Performance Award, English: Highest Average, Orchestra 30 , Information Processing, Most Deserving Student (Gr 12), Most Involved in Athletics Division IV, General Proficiency
Arianna Oleksuik: Christian Service
Shelby Parenteau: Megan Pocha Memorial Bursary
Hiba Rahman: Canadian History Scholarship, Dedication, Leadership, Voice Award, Rivier Award
Alex Suchorab: Math 30- Second Place
Kateri Tahn: Christian Ethics: Continuing Education, Jazz Choir Award, Sportsmanship
Emma Topping: Greatest Contribution To Drama, Kinsmen Service Award, Rivier Academy Foundation Scholarship,
Megan Wachs: Art, Practical & Applied Arts: Clothing.

Valedictorian Address:

Welcome to all parents, family, friends, staff and guests and of course, graduates. In pursuit of patenting the perfect Valedictorian speech for the Rivier Academy graduating class of 2010, I recognized two common elements in most speeches that have been delivered in the past. These speeches most often spoke of the good times; of heartfelt tender moments shared by the class in their last years of education, and the second element was a description of the great accomplishments and achievements that were destined to come their way. I tried writing one of these speeches and you know what? It sucked. Unfortunately for all of you, I was the weird kid who moved here from another province only last year, and to be completely honest, do not have the slightest clue where I, or any of you, are going to end up.  However, I am beginning to realize that might not be such a bad thing. The solid truth is, plans fail. Jobs go to someone else. Course selections don’t go the way we had originally hoped. Relationships appear where they may have been least expected, and life seems to have a way of going on. Am I saying we shouldn’t aspire for anything or make goals? Of course not, my message is exactly the opposite. You’ve heard a million times that the sky is the limit for us, but my question for you is, why set this limit for yourself at all?
I invite the class to take a moment to look around. Each person sitting in this room has dedicated him or herself in one way or another to getting us to this point. Not only has this taken place in our homes with our incredibly supportive families, but also here, in this very building, where we have been given one of the most solid foundations that could have been handed to us. We’ve been taught in a gender-segregated school to help us become individuals, but I’m not talking about that. We have received a high-school education of the highest quality, and while that is important, I’m not talking about that either. The one thing that will always be there, even if everything else should fail, the one thing that will never, ever, cease to exist and will conquer every trial and disappointment we are sure to encounter, the one thing I speak of, is love. Love is something we have been equipped with, in plenty, for the long road ahead of us, and as long as we have that, there is nothing on earth that can stop us. On this very day, Rivier ceases to be a school to us. Instead it becomes the cornerstone on which each of us chooses to build the life we want to lead. We are not just a class in a high school, we are a family, at least that’s what you’ve all been to me. And, unfortunately for all of you lovely young ladies, your family is something you’re stuck with for life. We will each have that small hint of “kilt” left in us until the day that we die. 
In closing, I’m not going to say that I wish you all the best, and that I hope you go on to do great things. Instead, I say that I know that each and every single one of you amazing, beautiful, young women, has the potential to accomplish incredible feats, and I look forward to hearing about them in the future.
My fellow graduates, “May the Lord bless you and protect you, may the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor, and give you his peace”. (Numbers 6:22-27). Thank you all.

Amanda Douglas
Class of 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment